I have my first exam of third semester on Monday! Yikes! I needed a little break from the studying this afternoon, so I decided to come up with relaxation tips I use on the morning of an exam.
Here are my top 5 tips to remain relatively calm.
1. Wake up 20 minutes earlier than usual and do a yoga stretch routine. Focus on your breathing because this will stimulate your parasympathetic nervous system and oppose that nasty sympathetic nervous system that you don’t need right now. It’s just a test. It’s not like you just called a code blue, so chill out!
2. Do not do any additional studying if at all possible.
3. Whenever you feel anxiety creeping up, do some deep breathing until your vital signs are within normal limits. Again, you want to stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system so you can remain calm.
4. One of my favorite teas is Yogi calming tea. It contains chamomile and lavender which have soothing and calming effects. Try some before the morning of the test to make sure it doesn’t make you tired, because you don’t need that during a test!
5. Put a dab of lavender oil on your hands and breathe it in deeply. Take this with you to the exam room and do this immediately before you sit down.
Good luck on your first exams everyone!